Saturday, May 9, 2009

Update...

OK, so because there were NO signs whatsoever that things were improving, I talked to my doc in Fremont - who told me to go the nearest Urgent Care Clinic or ER. Since I knew any Urgent Care would have a much less wait time, I chose the one where I'd gone last year when I had the initial allergy stuff a year ago February and which, incidentally, is the nearest one.

My hunch paid off. There were only 2 people ahead of me, instead of 36 loud, obnoxious ones in an ER waiting room. Of course, I had to use the bathroom - twice! - while waiting, but still. When I recounted my symptoms and said that when I could actually HEAR and FEEL my intestines moving, I knew I had to run to the bathroom, he put his scope to my abdomen and said that it was definitely active. So my armchair diagnosis was correct: the doc confirmed a "severe case" of gastroenteritis. Yee haw. He wrote a script for phenergan - although the suppositories would be more effective, that's not very practical right now. He was also surprised that I can't even keep water down - suggests that I continue with clear liquids, though, and said I can even add a little lemon to water or broth. B is off to get some pho broth for me. Maybe I can absorb a few nutrients from it.

There's nothing really other to do - can't give an antibiotic and hopefully the phenergan will knock the nausea/vomiting and allow me to start eating something, anything... the last "food" I've had to eat was an artichoke on Thursday evening. Doc thinks I'm actually still out "a few days" and that I need to stay on a bland diet for a bit even when I can handle solids again, so I don't know that I'll be able to make it to work on Monday.

Could be worse, though - I could be in the middle of a migraine or on my period. So see, I am an optimist. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!

No comments: